Sunday, September 22, 2019

Training for the MT Tzouhalem mountain trail run

I had the last two weeks of August free so I took a short overnight camping trip to the Cowichan region of Vancouver Island, where Mount Tzouhalem is located. I arrived in Duncan just after the sun had risen. I had a map of the trail system with the racecourse marked out but had a hard time finding my way as the course wasn’t marked. I had a few false starts finding the right dirt road, and almost ran through a horse paddock at Providence Farms. The horses were glad to see me. I was surprised.

I finally found the start area and got onto the dirt road that led to the trail head of Mt Tzouhalem. After the first switchbacks that are wide enough for a quad wheeler to access, it becomes mostly single track, technical, with rocks, roots, and fallen trees to navigate. With 500 meters of vertical the slog to the first summit has a lot of long steep sections that can only be power hiked. I went off course and ended up on the summit of the cross trail, which offered me some amazing early morning views. I found the single-track trail beyond this wasn’t marked well. I’m sure race day they’ll have it tagged with ribbons. There were too many forks in the trail with no directional arrows. After an-hour and forty-five minutes I decided to head back to Providence Farm so I wouldn’t get lost.

As I returned to my car I had put in almost a three-hour training run, and had had a good taste of the trail conditions for the up-coming MT Tzouhalem trail run, part of the Vancouver Island trail running series. I would say, as a mountain running trail race it’ll be tougher than the Cumby 25, but not as punishing as the Kusam Klimb. As I was soaking my feet in the Lake Cowichan back at the beech where I was camping I found that I had lost a toenail during the run. Later that evening I comforted myself over the loss as I refueled with a meal of fried chicken and chips and a milkshake at the fifties diner in Cowichan village.

No comments: