Friday, June 28, 2019

Kusam Klimb 2019 mountain run fun

I camped in Sayward the night before the Kusam Klimb. They have several municipal campsites by a pond at he edge of the village. I picked a site with a view of Mount Kusam. On the way into Sayward I had spotted a black bear crossing the road so I decided not to cook anything at the campsite. Instead I ate a sub sandwich and had a cup of coffee, munching it as I took in the view of mountain I would be running on the next day.
This year was my sixth time completing the Kusam Klimb. It had the driest trail conditions I've ever seen. Even the top of the mountain was mostly clear of snow. I was glad that I had carried a camel pack with about a liter of fluids to drink as the streams on the way up were bone dry. It's always worth the effort once you reach the top when you're above the clouds and you look to the valley below where the race began. It's a tough slog to make it to the top, power hiking and sometimes crawling on all fours. In the first 10 kilometers of the race you'll ascend over 4,700 feet. On the summit I ran with a group of four others for about 20 minutes up to the last steep ascent where I stopped to drink and take in some electrolytes.
Getting down Mount Kusam has its challenges too. At some of the steep areas ropes are required. If they're not available then you have to hang off of tree branches and shrubs for support as you descend. Because of the dry trail conditions it was easy to make up for lost time once I was out of the forest onto the old logging roads. I met up with some other runners at this point and kept pace with them until we reached check point three where peanut butter Nanaimo bars and chunks of watermelon were waiting. After almost three hours of mountain running aid station 3 was a welcome site.
The remainder of the trail system was mostly shielded from the morning sun by the trees that over hang the logging roads. At some of the ditches and streams I hopped across along the way I took the opportunity to cool off by soaking my head wear in the cool water. I could feel the heat of the day when I entered the last roadway leading to the finish. I was glad the end was near. I passed another racer and thought I was in the clear as I had fifty meters or so left. But as the finish line came in sight she sped up and tried to pass me. I wouldn't give up that easy though, and pushed on with a final surge that had me tripping just before the finish line at 4:45:41. I landed on my chest and scrapped the palms of my hands breaking my fall, but we tied. That was a finish I will not soon forget.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Enjoyed your Kusam Klimb story.

turtlebaylodge said...

I really enjoyed reading this blog entry. Keep posting.

Sea View Lodge
Espiritu Santo Island