Saturday, November 25, 2023

Completing the 2023 Phoenix Trail Races 50K Ultra

October 14th, 2023, I took part in the Phoenix Trail Races 50k Ultra, held at the Fanshawe Lake Conservation Area in London, Ontario. It was the first time I was able to complete an ultra distance race since suffering with Covid-19 in 2021 and 2022. When it comes to ultra distance trail races this was the gnarliest route I had encountered in my life. The mix of tree roots in sections, rocks, and steep declines make it a challenge. The year previously I had attempted the same ultra but had to stop after completing the first 25k loop because of a knee injury I suffered after tripping on a root and skinning my left knee.
We started the race with light rain and chilly wind gusts blowing down, so I wore my hydration vest over over a black windbreaker and a t-shirt. The aid stations had a good selection of drinks and snacks. I had Mourten 320 in my both of my 600 mls hydration pouches so I took water and pickle joice at most of the stops. My plan was to take an S-Cap every 45 minutes (after struggling with cramps I think this should've been one S-Cap every 30 minutes). While on the first 25k loop I was able to keep on this schedule. My drinking flasks were empty of Mourten 320 by the time I reached last aid station on the first loop. I had them refill my flask with Gatorade.

I caught up with three runners I knew from work, Miles Climenhaga, Brian Taylor and Joe Lightfoot, just as they were completing the first 25k loop. I refilled my hydration vest with 1200 mls of Maurten 320. We left from the half-way point aid station and ran together for the next fifteen kilometers. It was encouraging to have others to joke with as we pushed through the narrow forest trails that snaked alongside the south side of Fanshawe Lake. I suffered hamstring cramps a couple of times and had to walk off the pain, take some S-Caps and more hydration drink, so I lost sight of my friends near the 35k mark. It took me about twenty minutes to catch up to them. I sarcastically declared my love for tree roots as we ran the technical switchback trails filled with them before we reached the Rebecca Road aid station. I didn't trip once.

I ran on my own for the last 7K as I had to stop and stretch out my cramped hamstring after coming down a steep decline. It was a slow long slog to get through the winding Monkey Wrench Loop trail on the way to the last aid station. From there it was just over 5k to the finish line. It was a joy to be welcomed at the finish line by Miles, Brian and Joe, who had completed the race 15-11 minutes before I arrived. My wife, Olivia, was there too. Minutes later, we all sat together enjoying free hot soup and sandwiches inside a wooden lodge next to the finish line.

ULTRA FUEL REFLECTIONS
- Drinking Mourten 320 allowed me to take in 1500 calories throughout the race. My energy level felt consistent and I didn't have any stomach upset issues.
- Taking S-Caps helped to relieve muscle cramping. I think I should have taken them more frequently.
- Pickle juice is nice too.

1 comment:

Sarge said...

Noone is more amazed at your ventures than your parents. Well done son.