Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Tzouhalem Mountain Trail race 2019

When I saw the heavy rain before the start of the Tzouhalem Mountain Trail race I wondered if I would be able to complete it under my 2 hour goal time. Due to the rain we huddled under banquet tents set up on the large front lawn of Providence Farm until the very last minutes before the start count down was made. We were off, kicking up mud, trying to avoid puddles in the dirt road that led up to the trail head. Tzouhalem Mountain was shrouded in mist. I couldn't see the heights we were to ascend. The first four kilometers were mostly climbing and scrambling at certain places where the rain had washed over bare, rocky, slippery, outcrops. As it was well into fall, many leaves were on the ground. This made it hard to see the pink directional flags once we got to the summit and were following single track. The four runners I followed went off course about 800 meters when the lead runner lost sight of the pink flag markers. When I had to back track I thought my goal time was an impossibility. When it got tough I thought of a Bible verse I had read earlier that day, Psalm 18:33 "He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, and leads me on the heights." I whispered it in a prayer under my breath.

We pressed on, coming to some trails near a cliff edge where we could look out to the valley below. By the time we had reached the summit the mist had cleared enough that we were able to gaze down. I stopped to take a couple of photos. After 7 kilometers the trail started into a series of steep descents. I had to be careful at some because of the trail conditions with the mud and puddles. I didn't fall even once though thanks to my stable Altra Olympus 3.0 trail running shoes. I picked up speed and was able to pass some people during my descent. I checked my watch at the 9 kilometer mark and saw that I was within range of reaching my goal time. 1:50 was looking like a possibility. I stayed focused and pushed down the quad trail switchbacks that led back to Providence Farm. I felt good. The finish came into sight after passing back through the barnyard. I didn't care about stepping in puddles anymore.
I finished in 1:48 better than my goal time. I heard chatter a few seconds later that a pack of runners was right behind me and 15 of them had taken a wrong turn on the summit and had done an extra loop. A light rain was still falling and there was a chill in the air as we waited for the rest of the runners to finish while eating soft tacos and drinking coffee.
RACE RESULTS

No comments: