Thursday, November 06, 2008

Reading To Kids



If you're having fun, they'll have fun. That's my approach when it comes to performing a read before an audience of kids. Today I had a chance to read the first chapter of a work in progress to a group of them in Courtenay, B.C. and we had a blast. At one point I needed a volunteer from the audience to play the part of a cat. Everyone put their hand up, but I picked only one girl from the group, and she did a great job playing the role (considering that it was at the spur of the moment). A couple of other younger kids must have gotten jealous when they saw her. They began to crawl around on the floor like cats too. I continued reading, watching this, hoping they'd stop, but I finally had to pause for a few seconds to round up all the kids crawling around. Once back in their seats, I read the paragraph again, and continued on to finish the chapter. Lots of fun. Can't wait to do it again.

No comments: